Statement of Purpose
Historic preservation has a demonstrated positive impact on economic development efforts at the state and local levels. It is not simply a matter of aesthetics or quality of life, but also a tool for neighborhood stabilization and community revitalization that is connected to broader strategies of land use, smart growth and job creation. We anticipate that the Bakers of Buckland Society will strengthen the historic preservation efforts in northeastern North Carolina, southeastern Virginia, and other areas of our nation where our Society may be led to either lead or support historical preservation projects for many years to come.
The purpose of this organization shall be to:
- Gather and preserve the Bakers of Buckland family historical documents and items for future generations to experience and enjoy.
- Fund, promote and facilitate the restoration of damaged historical records, documents, objects and edifices which are of lasting cultural value to the members of the Bakers of Buckland.
- Support the preservation or establishment of memorials, libraries and museums that archive important historical documents and items of the Bakers of Buckland Society.
- Discover and record the names of all living descendants of Henry Baker I of Isle of Wight, VA (hereafter referred to as “the Bakers of Buckland”, “The Bakers of Buckland Society” or the “Society.”)
- Unite the living descendants of the Bakers of Buckland for the purpose of honoring the memory of the descendants of Henry Baker.
- Provide educational opportunities for members in the form of tours, seminars, publications and scholarships, as funding allows.
- Bring Bakers of Buckland family members into a closer family association through activities revolving around matters of common familial, historical and genealogical interest.
- Record and preserve the events and accomplishments of the members of the Bakers of Buckland family and descendants
- Assist in the organization of state “Bakers of Buckland Society” Chapters, wherein membership and interests justify their existence.